Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Blackout Poem

Hiya guys!

So it's been forever. Yep. I admit it.

'Nough o' yer whinin'. 

So in school, we are working on poetry in English class to wrap up the school year. Today we learned about these things called "Blackout Poems," where someone finds a newspaper article or book page or something and finds certain words/phrases in the text to create a poem. They then blackout everything else on the page so that the only words visible are the ones in the poem created. 

I had a chance to create one of these blackout poems myself, using a page from the book Tuesdays with Morrie, by Mitch Albom (a fabulous book).

I knew as soon as our teacher gave us the assignment that this was gonna be a blog post. I haven't done anything fun and creative-writing-y, short and sweet, in a while, so I figured this would be a breath of fresh air.

Enough talk. Here it is.


In case you couldn't read it, here's the poem on its own:

With
      sounds like a song,
                                maybe
                                         then you will
                                                          cry
                                                              on my tombstone.
                                                                                       Go ahead.



Try making one of these poems. And then just think about what it means.




...

I promise, I have more posts on the way soon, I have been working hard on them, the next of which will be a GRIM chapter (and one that actually makes sense!!!), followed by some more Ideas of the Day which I definitely need to catch up on. Stick around, I'm still breathin'.





c. Taylor Ward 2014. All Rights Reserved.



No comments:

Post a Comment