Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Ten Characters We All Know and Love

I know I generally do creative writing, but in case you didn't know, I'm pretty media-heavy in my fangeeking life. So here's a list, in no particular order, of ten characters in TV, movies, books, or anything like that, that we all know and we all love.

#10: Professor Severus Snape

Yeah, you knew he would be here. I don't know about you guys, but this dude was my favorite Harry Potter character in both movies and books. He was so intriguing and not to mention so mysterious he would keep us reading for days on end. "GOOD OLD J.K.!" 

Quote: "Mr. Potter.......our new...celebrity."

What He's From: Harry Potter (Book and Movie Series)

#9: Coach Sue Sylvester


The tough...the cheerleading...the vindictive...the ruthless...SUE SYLVESTER! I have to be honest, this lady is the one reason why I watch Glee. It's a great show, but it just wouldn't be that way if Jane Lynch hadn't stepped into the scene. She is mean, has a way with coming up with EXTREMELY AWESOME INSULTS and making fun of Will Schuester's (Matthew Morrison) hair.

Quote: "I can't suspend a kid for shoving you into a locker. He'll say that he tripped and accidentally pushed you. That excuse works like a charm; I use it all the time."

What She's From: Glee (TV Show)

#8: Mr. Echo

LOST is an amazing show that probably has crack somehow put into it, but when I tried to think of the best character, I always came back to this guy. He is tough, mysterious, BRAVE, and to top it all off, he's a Christian priest from Africa! What more could you want from an amazing character? And one of my favorite moments on the show was when he recited Psalm 100. Awesome.

Quote: "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want."

What He's From: LOST (TV Show)

#8: Dory

Don't act like you don't JUST...LOVE...DORY. She is hilarious, has short-term memory loss, and, well...at least...I think she does.
What was I talking about, again?
But in all seriousness, Dory is a brilliant conception by Pixar (like everything else that they make) and to top it all off, she is voiced by Ellen DeGeneres. 

Quote: "I will call him squishy, and he shall be mine!"

What She's From: Finding Nemo (Disney/Pixar Film)

#7: Haymitch Abernathy
Yeah...he's a drunkard. But do we care? NO! Suzanne Collins (Author of The Hunger Games) forges such a funny, interesting, mysterious, and emotionally deep character that we almost forget about the fact that Gale is being whipped or that Katniss needs medicine. And we can't forget about Woody Harrelson's portrayal of Haymitch; he was just as funny in the movie!

Quote: "So it's you and a syringe against the Capitol? See, this is why no one lets you make the plans."

What He's From: The Hunger Games Trilogy (Book and Movie Series)

#6: GLaDOS
Yes, she's from a video game. Do I care what you think about that? No, because video games can tell stories just as well as movies, books, and TV shows. The Portal games by Valve are perhaps the most brilliant games I have ever had the pleasure of playing, and here's why:
-Ingenius gameplay concept
-Character chemistry is amazing
-The writing is outstanding
-Ellen McLain does a PHENOMENAL job as GLaDOS
-Graphics are great
-The story is wonderfully intriguing
Need I say more? 
The Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System, A.K.A. GLaDOS, is the ruling A.I. (Artificial Intelligence) of the Aperture Science Enrichment Center. She is ruthless, cunning, vindictive, and COLD-HEARTED, doing anything she can to cause maximum pain for the silent protagonist (named Chell, who the gamer plays as). She is masterfully voiced by Ellen McLain and I find myself quoting her frequently.

Quote: "Oh look, here are the test results: 'YOU ARE A HORRIBLE PERSON.' I'm not kidding, that's what it says: 'YOU ARE A HORRIBLE PERSON.' Funny. We weren't even testing for that."

What She's From: The Portal Games (Video Game Series)

#5: The Doctor
You knew this was coming. Admit it. And he has every good reason to be on this list; he has endured for OVER FIFTY YEARS OF TELEVISION. OVER FIFTY YEARS. He is funny, dynamic, entertaining, lovable, and he changes with every new actor, so it's awesome to see his varied personalities! My personal favorite is the Tenth Doctor, played by David Tennant, but they are all FANTASTIC, and the whole "It's bigger on the inside" thing NEVER GETS OLD. 

Quote: "ALLONS-Y!"

What He's From: Doctor Who (TV Show)

#4: Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi
Yes, there is a Star Wars character on this list. But boy, is he a good one. Obi-Wan Kenobi (the original one played by Alec Guinness) is our favorite character out of hundreds. He's a FREAKING SPACE-WIZARD! Dude! But seriously, he is great. He is wise, and kind, and sacrificed himself to keep Vader from getting the rebels on the Death Star (or maybe just to keep the story from being cheesy), and he first introduced us to "THE FORCE."

Quote: "These aren't the droids you're looking for."

What He's From: Star Wars (Movie Series) and its Spinoffs

#3: Captain Jack Sparrow
Admit it. Pirates of the Caribbean would be crap without this guy. Played by Johnny Depp with hilarity, charisma, suavity, and many other things, this captain of the Black Pearl is smooth, half-drunk, and funny. He is always cracking little remarks about his situation or doing the most obviously but hilariously stupid things during his battles.

Quote: "I've got a jar of DIRT!"

What He's From: Pirates of the Caribbean (Movie Series and Disney World Attraction)

#2: Uncle Iroh
I'm not gonna lie; Avatar: The Last Airbender was and is one of my favorite TV shows. Yes, the movie was terrible. But to me, out of all the dramatic and wonderful characters on the show, Uncle Iroh was the most colorful. He was INCREDIBLY wise and cared for his nephew, Zuko, more than anything else in the world. He was the rightful heir to the throne of the Fire Nation, and yet, all he wanted to do was sit in a tea shop and make tea for the customers. He was so humble and amazingly well-crafted as a character, it was impossible not to love him.

Quote: "Sick of tea? That's like being sick of breathing!"

What He's From: Avatar: The Last Airbender (TV Show; the movie was terrible, so don't watch it)

And finally....

#1: Gandalf the Grey
DUUUUUUH! Of course Gandalf is the NUMBER ONE! Who else?
I am obsessed with Lord of the Rings. No shame in it. And from when I first started it, I knew that my favorite character was none other than Mithrandir himself. This guy ROCKS. He was brilliant in the books. He was brilliant in the movie. Shoutout to Ian McKellen for such a riveting performance! Gandalf the Grey is wise, great, powerful, epic, badass, and bearded (and no, badass is not a bad word in this context).He is the epitome of all things fantasy and wizard-like, and yes, he is cooler than Dumbledore. If you question me, I might through into the fires of Mount Doom. He deserves every bit of the highest place on this list, and because of this, he gets THREE quotes!

Quotes: 
-"YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"
-"What do you mean? Do you mean to wish me a good morning or are you saying it is a good morning whether I want it or not? Or perhaps you are saying that you feel good on this particular morning. Or maybe you are suggesting that it is a morning to be good on."
-"There is only one Lord of the Rings. And he does not share power."

What He's From: Lord of the Rings (Book and Movie Series) and The Hobbit (Book and Movie Series)


Thanks for reading! Have any other great characters that you think deserve an honorable mention? Put them in the comments below! I will be writing another list like this soon: "Top Ten Best Screen Villains of All Time." Stay tuned!


c. Taylor Ward 2012. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment